I’ve been working on this quilt for a long time. Sadly as I was nearing completion I washed it and something ran really badly. Which was odd because all the fabric had been pre-washed. It near destroyed the quilt and eventually I decided to separate the quilt front and the back and take out the wadding so I could wash them in colour run remover separately. This was a mammoth job and hear breaking too, ripping through all the stitching, hand and machine, that had been added over the months. But I thought the beautiful hand printed linen backing, which was most badly affected, might not be saveable and I thought I would have no option but to start again with a new backing.
Luckily the colour run remover removed about 90% of the blue run. And I realised this was a perfect opportunity to remove what I was using as wadding as I actually did not like it at all (it was a bed spread and it was heavy but not warm and also too textured which felt odd in the quilt. So I turned it into a positive thing and I have ow made some different decisions about the quilting too. Instead of close straight lines stitched by hand and by machine in blocks, which looked a bit weird, I am going to hand quilt around the pieced edges, and I started today whilst feasting on series 2 of Breaking bad (I know, watching tv in the day, it felt very decadent!).