I teach my classes in my lovely purpose-built garden studio in Walthamstow, E17. You will learn in a nice informal setting, in small groups (maximum of 5), with unlimited cups of tea and a huge stash of fabric for you to use.
My studio is well equipped and spacious, yet homely and fun, with music and and chatter galore. This helps to put people at ease very quickly and it creates an easy environment in which to learn. I’m very supportive and believe everybody can (and should!) learn to sew, and I honestly haven’t met anyone yet who I couldn’t teach to create something beautiful.
I have a lot of experience in making and teaching, and have HNDs to back up my knowledge. Of course I believe you never stop learning and I myself am always expanding my skills. I know what kind of experience I expect in a learning environment, and believe I mostly get it right delivering a positive experience to my students. I believe in feedback and being adaptable, so all classes will have an element of being tailored to the students. I also firmly believe that you should come home from each class with something you have made, so you will!
HOW TO BOOK: ALL GROUP CLASSES CAN BE BOOKED FROM THE BOOKING PLATFORM, CLICK HERE: Ticketlab
- SEWING FOR BEGINNERS – Learn to set up and use a machine, make seams and hems, measure and cut etc. 5 hour class £115 *** BESTSELLER CLASS! ***
- DRESSMAKING – Learn to read and adjust a pattern, and make up a garment. Very small class (max 3 people). 6 hr class £120, 15 hr class £360, 30 hr class £650 *** BESTSELLER CLASS! ***
- ZIPS & BUTTONHOLES – 5 hour class £115
- CHILDREN’S DRESSMAKING CLASS – Make a child’s garment, pattern included – 6 hour class £120
- PATCHWORK QUILTING WORKSHOP – Learn to measure, cut and stitch different quilt tops, learn to select wadding, stitch and bind. 5 hour class £115, 10 hour class £230
- IMPROV QUILTING – My favourite kind. Throw the ruler and pattern out of the window and set your creativity free. Learn to select wadding, stitch and bind. 5 hour class £115, 10 hour class £230
- APPLIQUE & FREE MOTION EMBROIDERY WORKSHOP – 5 hour class £115
- OVERLOCKER CLASS – 2 hour class £50
- STITCH & BITCH – Bring your own projects to work on in this sewing get together. Use the space, machines and chat for only £15. This is not a taught class so you will need to be able to work independently for most of the time, so if you need a lot of hand holding please book a private class – 2 hours+ (we usually overrun!) £15, every second Wednesday of the month
- KIDS SEWING CLASSES – in the half terms we usually run sewing classes for kids 9-14 ish *** BESTSELLER CLASS! ***
ALL CLASSES CAN BE BOOKED FROM THE BOOKING PLATFORM, CLICK HERE
For all classes keep an eye on my schedule or even better, sign up for my mailing list here
People often ask me about class progression – what order should they take classes in, and what is next after the beginners’ class? I have always left this really open as it all depends on what you want to achieve. For a lot of people being able to hem trousers or fix a dress is enough. For some people the dream is to make their own vintage-style dresses. Others want to learn to quilt, or aren’t yet so sure what they want to do with their new skills. And other people still want to learn how to do everything.
So progression is different for everyone, and after my beginners’ class all classes can be taken in any order. I highly recommend ‘Zips’ but after that (or even without that) you can do dressmaking, quilting, learn to make kids’ clothes, or applique. So that is why I’m a bit vague, because any route is good and all classes are accessible to beginners!
For all kinds of reasons you may not be able to attend a group class, and I offer private classes at your home or in my studio. Please contact me on [email protected]